Are you providing care for someone with a serious illness?
Join us for this free one day workshop aimed to help you in your caring role. The course focuses on the challenges and demands of being a carer and provides participants with a wide range of information and practical strategies to increase their coping skills, with self-care a constant theme throughout the course. The main goal is to improve the quality of life for both individuals in the caring relationship.
The aim of this course is for the carers to feel empowered and reinforced in their role, to gain new knowledge and understanding and to feel less isolated and alone. Self-care for carers is a constant theme throughout the course.
What the course will cover
- Effective Communication – improving communication skills.
- Managing Medications – understanding common medications, their use, possible side effects and medication safety.
- Communicating in Special Situations – with family, friends and health professionals and when you are experiencing distressing feelings.
- Managing Pain – how to describe measure and maximise pain control.
- Managing Symptoms – how to reduce common symptoms such as nausea and constipation.
- Fatigue – providing strategies to help combat the effects of fatigue and stress.
- Practical Aspects – identifying some physical aspects of caring and some practical issues to be aware of.
- Good Nutrition and Exercise – the importance of good nutrition and appropriate exercise for both people in the caring relationship.
- Self-Care – throughout the course, there is an emphasis on self-care for the carer.
- Complementary Therapies – what are they and how can they help.
UPCOMING CARER’S COURSE
Date: Saturday, 9 December 2017
Time: 9:45am – 4:00pm
Venue: Solaris Cancer Care SJOG Hospital
Bookings are essential
Download a flyer: carers course poster
Phone: Solaris Cancer Care SJOG Phone: 9388 9788
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org and send through a completed application form
In Person: Visit your nearest Solaris Cancer Care Support Centre and register with the Client Services Manager.
Online: Please complete the online application form below