By the Dietetics Department of SJOG by an Accredited Practising Dietician
Hello and welcome to ‘Eating Well’
Making positive changes to our lifestyle can benefit us both mentally and physically. Many find making these positive choices gives them back a sense of control. Following a healthy balanced diet can help us achieve a healthy lifestyle.
The Australian Dietary Guidelines suggest a variety of nutritious foods from the following food groups
- Fruit and vegetables for vitamins, minerals and fibre
- Plenty of carbohydrates such as breads, cereals, rice and pasta for energy
- Protein rich foods like lean meat, fish, dairy, nuts and meat alternatives such as soy, beans and lentils. Protein is important for maintaining muscle mass, immunity and repair.
- Some dairy products such as milk, cheese and yoghurt for protein and calcium
- Limited foods and drinks that are high in fat, salt and sugar
- Plenty of water
The act of eating food can be heightened given the right environment. Eating with friends and family can be pleasurable. Eating outside in the garden, at a park or near water can be just as special.
Changing Our Diet
Changes in our diet are best made gradually. Set yourself small achievable goals, make changes that can be maintained and set new goals when you are physically and emotionally ready.
If you have any topics you would like the Dietetics Dept. to consider please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org